Monday, 2 November 2009

London Architecture

So I went to london a few days ago, and decided to take some reference material from the buildings...

Here's a section of pictures I took from Camden Lock's 'Stables' which has recently been re-developed....there was some really elegant ornamental structures...














































Here's a sligtly different approach which I took from South Bank, kinda contrasts against the wooden carvings, with it's sleek, mettalic feel...also, I took some of these at night, whilst I was having a walk around....London really is great at night, so I thought I'd capture some it on camera, so focusing on lighting here's some of what I saw..















2 comments:

  1. Hi there Bob,
    Nice photos, one of the things I love about London are these details that can be found, like little grottoes. Miller is a quirky one, he comes from the same era as Scarfe and the like, what I admire most is his intricate pen manship, also his philosophy of "if I can't draw it I'll stick a tree in front of it"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - some important tips re. the essay. What I DON'T want is 1,500 words of general observations about the 'look' of a game or film; what I'm looking for is some genuine research into the creative team/rationale behind the creation of a particular world (for instance, for Superman Returns, there was a conscious effort on behalf of the production designers to create an amalgamation of time periods, so that the film had a retro/contemporary quality that referenced the forties as well as the present day); another way to discuss the 'look' of a film/game in a contextualised way is to gather together lots of film/reviews and cross-reference the similarities between observations, as reviewers identify 'trends' and 'meanings' in the production design. I want you to actually 'deconstruct' the look of something in intellectual terms, and not just bang on about the obvious stuff - this should be your mantra - AVOID GENERIC OBSERVATIONS! Find an angle, support it with external evidence and PROVE your analysis... Obviously then, I'd choose something about which you can dig up the relevant information...

    ReplyDelete