Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Concept Art: Re/Work

Okay....so here's the re-worked version of my concept art....

Top Fruiting Body Spore










I'm really glad I re-done this piece, especially the faint use of texture that adds that little mor depth....I also brought a landscape into the piece, giving more a sense of the world that it's occuring in, the purple backdrop consisting of more 'Fruiting Bodies' releasing 'Spores' as the closer ones fade out.....I also added a little hint of orange to bring the piece a finishing glow.

In terms of texture, I also added a few lines of orange to see how effective the 'thread' would look, as it breaks up the shape more...

Fruiting Bodies

I'm not going to lie...im still not happy with this piece, truth is, I spent the best part of 2 days trying to be, but I reached a stage where I felt like it was good enough to portray my world.....

Colour









So I spent ages trying to recolur this version, just trying to get a different effect, but after a while, it just felt like a I was slowly ruining the piece, although it has aloth more definition, it seems to be lacking that sense of depth, as well as the colour of the piece, drowning out the character i wanted to portray (though this give off a slime effect)

After creating the definition from the previous version, I decided to start over from what I had, stealing some of the detail from this peice, so all was not lost...

After a while building up numerous amounts of layers, to create depth etc...I decided to put some more half made 'Fruiting Bodies' to create  sense of communtiy, as well relation to my previous 'Top Fruiting Body Spore'....I added a lot more texture to this version also, giving the 'Slime Molds' more of a 'Fur' look, and the 'Fruiting Body' more 'Tree' like (which was a severe pain, for want of not losing detail and glow) as though 'Rooted' ....on top of this, I added alot more purple tones, to break up some of the objects, as well as the subtle lanscape in the back....suggesting again, the 'Community'.
Finally, to make the piece feel more complete, I tried adding the 'Thread' stich around some of the objects, again breaking up the figure, and adding charatcer...










I had alot of trouble with the harshness of the sky however, as it conflicted againts the objects, and colours, so after toning and painitng some opacity onto the objects, I was able to find a sucessful mix.





No comments:

Post a Comment