Thursday, 23 September 2010

The Moment You've (Me) Have All Been Waiting For.....Character Design

From a young age, all I've ever wanted to do, after playing my first 'Final Fantasy' (VII I have you know), is become a Character Designer, somthing I've been obsessing over ever since, which spurred me into the Art Direction from a young age, and only recently has become more of a reality then ever, and the first point of this realisation, was one of the first days of last year, when I walked into the base room, and saw the same Character Classes I've now begun taking, so you can imagine the excitiment all year round....

Todays lesson, was nothing more than Random, however intresting, for example, watching through the many 'Disney' dipictions of the three main character's type's, 'Hero's, Side-Kicks and Villians', the noted simmilarites between them again interesting, somthing I'll touch upon in a later post...

Although these are from Disney's view of how a 'Hero' should appear, these have remained and integral part of Mainstream's Aesthetics ......of course, not taking into account Anti-Hero's and other simmilar 'unconventional' aesthetics...

After watching the main elements of the three 'Archetypes', we began the Character Excersise, involving the randomization of 2 different characteristics, and combining them into one 'being' (Once again through what seems to be this courses favourite deployment method lol), quite the task....

Holy Clown:
Attempt 1




















Attempt 2





















Robotic Gorilla





















Once we had become use to this method of trying to evenly balance certain characteristics, we were faced with the brief, and another randomizer!

I'm not too sure wether this will infact work in my favour, but I was lucky enough to get this combination:



LOL, ok not quite, I actually got Ninja vs Ninja.....I know...you couldnt make that up, but it does give me alot of freedom with the concept, as well as being able to involve both past, and present in my work....

So for next steps few step will be to firstly, research heavily into the traditional background of the Ninja, such as Clans, Clothing, Weapons, Technology, Decoration, Location, Class, 'Ninjitsu' etc....just to get a wider understanding, from this point I will then begin to draw together a Mood Board, to help visualize the direction for Charcter Design

And I'll Leave On This Note....

No comments:

Post a Comment