Apologies for being so quiet recently, I've just decided to crack on and produce work. I feel I really progressed over the past few weeks and added more to my skill base, Texturing wise, I feel like I cracked how to really paint onto UV's, and avoid seems through texture and bump! This was a huge deal to me, and alot of trial and error took place.
Lighting, this was really a new area to me all together, and was very daunting at first, but I manged after several hours of tackling attributes, to come up with the balance I was happy with, one of the key points being 'Break' & 'Make' light links. This was a huge discovery for me, as it allowed me to single out different light sources and apply them solely to particular geometry. This came as a godsend when trying to figure out how to blend the the backdrop to the water. I went through alot of trial and error in this section also, which is where I spent alot of my time. The lights I found most effective were 'Area', 'Point' & 'Spotlight'.
Here's an example of what I went through:
I also tried my hand at creating a water texture, which I feel worked pretty well considering I was unfamiliar with the technique. Again, alot of trial and error here, as I utilized the Env Ball Node, which felt slightly unpredictable when trying to find a suitable image to reflect, whilst also playing around with Paint Effects to create more of 'Swamp Atmosphere'.
In regards to the 'Needles' & Thread, I used a glow effect on the both to back them pop more from the scene, and create an eerie effect. I experiment with a Cloud Node for the first time, to see what effects it could create, and also used the same node in a dupe to input into the bump, which was very effective, however trial and error once more. To create the Thread, I used C.V curves and extruded along cylinder face. However to save time, and the intricate curls, I wanted to use the same section, and adapt it to each needle, and the merge with another C.V curve, this caused some problems, but I manged to find a solution by snapping the Curve Vertices's to one another, and reversing the flow of each curve, and then using Attach Curve to finish the job.
In terms of rendering, I was attempting to use and Ambient Occlusion for the first time, and manged to pull it off, however, due to the displacement on the water, it began to cast shadows past the geometry of the water where it rose for the displacement. Keepin this in mind, and after speakin to Alan, I was going to try and mask it through the use of surface shaders, ander rende the water on another layer, however, I ran out of time
For me, the re-take on this project was more of a scene based direction, as opposed to character, because I neglected this previously, but also I havent really made an approach towards this direction on this course yet. I didnt manage to animate the character, but however I hope I portrayed my initial style in a much more effective manner, through my time based media. I feel I've learned a great deal from this re-submission, and acquired many skills I had previous been lacking.